I’ve never been convinced by the idea of French toast, a perception drummed into us by the health industry “fried bread is just a pure sponge of fat” “the naughtiest of breakfasts” “loaded with carbs, seeping with fat“. No, No and No. I found all of these equally alarming excerpts from varying online articles, no wonder I’ve been so keen to divert the French Toast bandwagon all this time. This false jurisdiction needs to be settled once and for all, lets just get one thing straight here: French toast like many other foods and delicacies is as “unhealthy” as one makes it. With a few moments to spare, this afternoon I was sparked with the thought of adapting the traditional French toast luxury to an easy, delightful and hearty resemblance, fully vegan of course. Stripped bare and deprived of the common conceptions and with only 7 ingredients this is definitely not one to skimp on.
- 2 slices of Biona Organic Millet bread (wholewheat works just as well)
- 1/2 cup coconut and almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- dash of coconut oil (for greasing the pan)
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- handful fresh or frozen raspberries
- almond butter
- Begin by heating a frying pan on a medium heat, once hot enough add a dash of coconut oil (you don’t need much at all just enough to prevent the bread from sticking)
- Whilst the pan is warming in a shallow bowl whisk together the plant-based milk and cinnamon until bubbles form on the surface, then pop your two slices of bread into the bowl to soak up the mixture (Not all of the milk will be absorbed but this is totally fine.)
- Once the coconut oil is melted, add your bread to the pan (it should sizzle and spit so don’t be alarmed) fry for 3-4 minutes on the first side, and regularly using a spatula to make sure the bread doesn’t stick to the pan.
- Whilst the bread is cooking make your raspberry jam by pinging your
raspberries in the microwave for 10 seconds (a tad longer if defrosting from frozen) until super squishy, then use a fork to mash them into a compote, add your tablespoon of chia seeds, mix again and set aside until ready to serve.
- Flip over your bread and repeat frying step on the reverse side, however for a slightly shorter time (only about 2-3 minutes or until golden brown)
- Remove the bread from the pan and serve on a plate, before smothering in your raspberry chia jam and a drizzle of almond butter!
Serving suggestion: You could also top with coconut flakes too!
Tuck in and enjoy this wholesome, healthy creation and leave the messy kitchen until after you’ve treated your taste-buds!
I’d love to know what you think so feel free to post some feedback below.