What better way to begin a cosy, festive morning than a chocolate orange breakfast sponge made in less than 5 minutes? There is simply no other, although a few christmas classics would add to the festivities and really get you in that Christmas spirit. The Polar Express and Home Alone are definitely on my list of Christmas must-sees, but I’ll leave that open for debate.
For the sponge
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup plant-based milk
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 medium banana
- 1 tsp baking soda
For the sauce
- 3 medjool dates (soaked in water for at least 10 minutes)
- 2 tbsp water (add more for a thiner consistency)
- 1 tsp cacao
- In a blender grind down the oats to a flour
- Add in the baking soda, banana, orange juice and milk (I used soya) and blend the mixture for a further minute or two until it reaches a gloopy consistency and all of the flour is combined.
- Pour the mixture into a microwavable bowl or mug and heat in the microwave for 3-4 minutes depending on the power wattage.
- The sponge should be firm enough to stand alone, if its still a little gloopy on the inside cook for a further couple of minutes.
- Allow to stand for 1 minute and then turn out onto a plate (or eat from the mug, whatever floats your boat)
- To make the date caramel add the dates and water to a blender and pulse to form a gooey consistency, add more water if the sauce is to thick.
- Mix in the cacao and drizzle the sauce over the sponge, top with orange segments and cashews, and ENJOY!